Guildford in Bloom 2022 Competition is open for entries
Enter your garden or business in the 2022 Guildford in Bloom competition and join us in making where we live, work, and play Blooming Beautiful.
List of Categories:
Best Front Garden
Your garden must be visible to the public from the footpath. It will be judged on design, colour, quality of plants, and all year-round interest. Gardens will be divided into small or large category
Best Allotment & Vegetable/Kitchen Gardens
Judged on the variety and quality of vegetables grown, evidence of good horticultural practice, use of space and sustainable management. All allotment plots entered must have the plot number clearly on display or you may not be judged.
Best Garden for Wildlife
Open to all gardens including businesses and smaller community projects where the design, choice of plants and management is especially welcoming to wildlife.
Best Site for Nature Conservation
This category is suited to larger areas of private or public land where the aim is to protect and conserve wildlife habitats and species population.
Best Pub in Bloom
We are looking for a well balanced design, good use of colour and quality planting.
Best Container Garden
Open to balconies and gardens that are based on pots and baskets. Must be visible to the public.
Best Neighbourhood Project
This category recognises projects that green up the local area and include those organised by sheltered accommodation, village halls, resident’s associations, parish councils, voluntary groups, and charities etc. Judges will be looking for good design, colour, and plant quality as well as input from residents or the community.
Best Themed Garden Award
This year our theme is The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. The best themed garden, allotment, container or project will win the Dorothy Walden Award
Young Gardener Award
Awarded for entries from young people aged 11-21 years in full time education.
Best School in Bloom
This year our theme is The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee. We are looking for imaginatively themed gardens or novel containers. Children’s involvement in the design, planting and upkeep and meeting the theme of the competition will score high marks. Note: dates of the school competition are different from the main competition.
· The Guildford in Bloom Gardening Competition is open to all borough residents, schools, community groups and businesses – anyone who loves gardening and wants to help make Guildford and our surrounding villages even more beautiful places to live, work and visit.
· Entries must be received by Sunday 19 June 2022; simply choose a category, let us know if you are a young gardener, choose to theme or not to theme, you can enter only one category per site/address; email your entry details to firstname.lastname@example.org;
· Judging takes place between 27 June – 15 July; it is not possible to advise individual entrants of the exact day and time of judging (with the exception of kitchen gardens, wildlife gardens, Nature Conservation and neighbourhood project categories);
· Judges will not be available to discuss individual entries; the judges' decision is final;
· Winners will be notified by email and invited to the Awards Show which takes place on
6 September 2022 (subject to Coronavirus); a list of winners will be published on our website; photographs of your garden may be used for marketing purposes.
If you have a friend, neighbour, family member, local school or pub with a beautiful garden, you are welcome to nominate them. We will need the address nominated as well as the nominee.
Younger gardeners and students in full time education will receive special recognition for entering. There will also be a special award for the best Queen’s Platinum Jubilee themed garden / allotment. Let us know if you are a young gardener and/or theming your garden.
School Gardening Competition:
The Schools Gardening Competition runs alongside the main competition. The theme is Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, and the closing date is 22 May 2022. Schools should register their entry by email at email@example.com
Website And Social Media:
Forms can also be downloaded from our website www.guildfordinbloom.com – where you can also see details of the 2021 category winners.
You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for regular updates, news and gardening tips.
22 May 2022 Best School in Bloom entry deadline
4 June 2022 Picnic in the Castle Grounds
7-16 June 2022 School Gardening Competition Judging
19 June 2022 Guildford in Bloom Competition entry deadline
22 June 2022 School in Bloom Awards
27 June to 15 July 2022 Guildford in Bloom Competition Judging
6 September 2022 Guildford in Bloom Competition Awards Ceremony.